Title: Director of Communications
Supervisor’s Title: Chief Advancement Officer
Functions of the Director of Communications:
Reporting to and working closely with the Chief Advancement Officer, the Director of Communications plans and executes all College social media, maintaining a daily schedule of communication with a growing community of deeply-invested and responsive audiences. This position oversees the promotion of all College programming including: the Mütter Museum, the Historical Medical Library, HistoryofVaccines.org, the Center for Education, and a dynamic series of public events. This person will coordinate all press relations and inquiries related to publicity surrounding the College and its activities, in addition to coordinating a full schedule of outside film crews.
Training, Skills and Experience Guidelines:
The ideal candidate will have strong writing skills, a passion for marketing and social media, and be accustomed to delivering high-quality work while adhering to tight deadlines.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills with a minimum 3 years related professional experience in marketing, social media, and/or communications.
- Experience writing press releases, media alerts, newsletters, and communicating with press.
- Technical knowledge and understanding of social media platforms, metrics and tracking.
- Project management and organization skills across all media platforms. Experience managing communication through website planning, management, and production.
- BS/BA degree or equivalent experience in Marketing, Public Relations, Communications, or related field.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
This is a great opportunity for a media-savvy, creative individual to work with the people and collections of one Philadelphia’s most unique and fastest growing cultural and historical institutions.
- Promote the mission and voice of The College of Physicians of Philadelphia and its programming to vast array of local and international audiences through social media and traditional marketing.
- Respond to all press inquiries and social media queries in a timely and professional fashion.
- Publicize and promote College events, programs, and exhibitions.
- Research, write, edit, and proof all levels of copy for external and internal marketing materials.
- Responsible for the day-to-day management of all social channels: creating, curating, and managing all published content.
- Build and implement social media programs to support College goals by monitoring social media groups, trends, tools, and applications and recommend actions/next steps.
- Monitor and engage in collaborative online conversations with fellow institutions, social initiatives, and trending medical, social and health-related news.
- Monitor the College’s social media performance usage reports, analytics and insights.
- Manage and schedule outside production and film crews. Supervise completion of contracts for visiting production crews, and oversee production on-site.
This position receives a competitive non-profit salary with a generous benefits program.
The College of Physicians of Philadelphia advances the cause of health while upholding the ideals and heritage of medicine. Founded in 1787, the College is the oldest professional medical organization in the country and home to: The Mütter Museum, The Historical and Medical Library, HistoryofVaccines.org, Center for Education, a full calendar of public lectures and events, and a busy facilities rental calendar. More than 180,000 guests visit annually.
Please submit resume and cover letter to email@example.com as well as two writing samples and links to any relevant, brand-oriented social media accounts.