The Teva Pharmaceuticals internship program is a STEM and social-justice oriented program aimed at intellectually-curious Philadelphia high school students who have been directly affected by violence and want to make a difference in their communities.
Through a variety of educational programs, these students explore the impact of violence upon themselves and their communities, while improving their understanding of science, technology, and medicine.
The program focuses on the following themes:
• Learning and applying forensic techniques such as crime scene investigation, fingerprinting,
• Understanding the health system’s response to individuals with traumatic gunshot wounds,
including emergency room procedures, rehabilitation, and physical therapy
• Understanding the body's physiological response to stress and stress relief techniques
• Learning to talk, heal, and build community with your peers.
• Learning to network with STEM (science, technology, engineering, and mathematics)
professionals and future mentors.
The program consists of two parts. The first is a multi-week summer internship that takes place through the month of July. The second part is an after-school program that takes place once a week through the school year.
During the program, students work closely with College staff and experts from a variety of fields related to forensic science, healthcare, and community action. Through hands-on activities students are trained using the same tools and methods these professionals use in their respective fields. Students gain an understanding of social justice while learning about careers in STEM in a safe, engaging environment. They also develop the tools necessary to prepare for their futures and address issues that directly affect their communities.
Eligibility and Enrollment
Any rising 11-12th grader (will be in 11th or 12th grade in the upcoming school year) currently enrolled at a school in the Philadelphia School District (including charter schools) is welcome to apply. There are no costs to enroll or be enrolled in the program.
Interested students must submit an application form form accompanied by the following items:
- Contact information for a parent or guardian. All students must obtain permission to participate in the Teva Pharmaceuticals internship program from a parent or guardian.
- Contact information of a teacher or mentor who is willing to serve as a reference.
- A personal statement in the form of a brief essay (no more than 500 words) OR a brief audio/video clip (no more than 5 minutes) addressing how violence has affected your life or community.
Selected applicants will be asked to take part in an interview. All applicants must be prepared to submit a work permit (information on how to obtain one can be found here).
With the exception of off-site field trips, all activities will be held at The College of Physicians of Philadelphia (19 South 22nd Street). Transit tokens to and from all events will be supplied to the Fellows by the Center for Education. Students will also be paid a stipend upon successful completion of the program.
We are not accepting applications for the Teva Pharmaceuticals STEM Internship Program at this time.
Please check back for updates.