Attention: Philadelphia High School Students
We are currently accepting applications for the 2018-2019 Out4STEM Internship Program.
Completed applications are due no later than 11:59PM, Monday April 30, 2018.
The Out4STEM Program aims to provide Philadelphia’s LGBTQIA youth with healthcare and STEM-oriented instruction, mentorship, academic support, and college/career preparation in an inclusive, safe space. Drawing on the resources of the College of Physicians of Philadelphia and the Mütter Museum, the program aims to promote resilience, peer support networks, and diverse educational experiences.
The Out4STEM Program consists of two components: a one-year internship program directed at Philadelphia 10th and 11th graders and a series of regular events directed at a broader audience.
Out4STEM is a collaborative program between The College of Physicians of Philadelphia, Q-Spot (Educational Justice Coalition), and the University of Pennsylvania’s LGBTPM+. It is made possible through the generous contributions of Teva Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd.
The Out4STEM Internship Program
Established in 2017, the Out4STEM Internship Program seeks to address the unique challenges facing LGBTQIA youth while providing a safe environment to learn about careers in science and medicine. Students involved in the program achieve the following goals: on the following areas:
- Learn about careers related to science, technology, engineering, mathematics (STEM), and healthcare/medicine.
- Acquire practical job skills in a healthcare field by successfully completing a Phlebotomy Technician Certification (CPT)
- Cultivate relationships between like-minded, motivated Philadelphia LGBTQIA students.
- Develop a greater understanding of the body’s physiological response to stress.
- Facilitate stress relieving techniques.
- Address the impact of bullying and discrimination and develop responses.
- Learn to communicate, heal, and build a community
The program consists of two parts. The first is a four-week summer internship that takes place through the month of July (the upcoming summer internship will take place July 5-27, 2018). The second part is an after-school program that takes place once a week through the 2018-2019 school year. Transit tokens to and from all events will be supplied by the Center for Education. Students will also receive a stipend upon successful completion of the program. With the exception of off-site field trips, all activities will take place at the College of Physicians of Philadelphia (19 South 22nd Street).
Eligibility and Enrollment
In order to be eligible for the Out4STEM Internship Program, candidates must meet the following requirements (Note: There are no costs to enroll or be enrolled in the Out4STEM Internship Program):
- Currently enrolled in a high school within the Philadelphia School District, including public, private, parochial, or charter schools.
- Possess an interest in healthcare, medicine, or STEM (science, technology, engineering, or math)
Interested students must submit an application form form accompanied by the following items:
- Contact information for a parent or guardian. All students must obtain permission to participate in the Teva Pharmaceuticals Internship Program from a parent or guardian.
- Contact information of a teacher or mentor who is willing to serve as a reference.
- A brief essay (no more than 500 words) OR a brief video (no more than 5 minutes) addressing how violence has affected your life or community.
Selected applicants will be asked to take part in an interview. All applicants must be prepared to submit a work permit (information on how to obtain one can be found here).
The deadline for applications for the 2018-2019 Out4STEM Internship program is 11:59PM on Monday, April 30, 2018.
Out4STEM hosts regular events related to issues in healthcare, medicine, and the LGBTQ+ community. Unless otherwise noted, all events take place at the College of Physicians of Philadelphia (19 South 22nd Street).