OUR BUILDING IS A SYMBOL OF THE COLLEGE’S COMMITMENT TO ADVANCING THE CAUSE OF HEALTH WHILE UPHOLDING THE IDEALS AND HERITAGE OF MEDICINE
The College of Physicians’ National Historic Landmark building has served the needs of this institution for 110 years. Because our visitor numbers now equal those of institutions with gallery spaces nearly twice our size, it can be challenging to see everything on display.
How can we create new space where the Library and the Museum can work together to enhance understanding of the history and future of medicine? How can we create the environment where the public, students, and researchers can learn from and interact with the entire collection?
The space master plan developed by KieranTimberlake Architects will:
• Connect the Museum and the Library
• Expand Museum and Library exhibition space by 82%
• Create the first-ever permanent Library exhibition space
• Rehabilitate the Library stacks for efficient & modern storage
• Allow the public to interact with our entire collection
Click on the thumbnails below to see more of our dramatic plan for expansion!
The transformation and preservation of our historic landmark space includes:
Museum expansion to:
• Create expanded exhibition space–a new two-story Grand Gallery & Mezzanine
• Dramatically improve Museum circulation for our 183,000+ visitors per year
• Connect the Museum galleries with the new Library exhibition space to create a fully interactive environment
Library and library stacks renovation to:
• Create new public and private research areas
• Create innovative exhibition and activity space
• Develop interactive programs to showcase rare works
Fly through video November 2018
Building A Vision features photographs, texts, and artifacts from the Historical Medical Library and Mütter Museum, examining the College’s illustrious past and ambitious vision for the future.
Learn more about Building A Vision